In 1982 Artist Rafael Ferrer created the interplay of vividly painted characters “El Gran Teatro de la Luna”. Before being replaced in 2012 at Fairhill Square in West Kensington, Ferrer re-visited the sculpture in an opportunity to revive and evolve the original work.
Roy Lichtenstein’s 1996 sculpture “Brushstroke Group” was created at full scale in 2001 ( 4 years after Lichtenstein passed away). The sculpture is a representation of a medium in another medium: brushstrokes sculpted in three dimensions.
One and Two Commerce Square designed by IM Pei in 1985 anchor the East and West side of a public plaza designed by Laurie Olin. Olin and Pei’s design for Commerce square came during a spike in the construction of office buildings along West Market Street.
In the context of the society hill towers and neighboring the Bookbinder’s building, Moto Designshop’s 2014 Walnut Estates features a typical Philadelphia material in an atypical fashion. The single-wythe white brick screen provides shade from the direct southern sun along with privacy to the residents inside.
Dr. Wilson Cary Swann created the Philadelphia Fountain Society for horses, who in the hot Philadelphia summer of 1869, needed water throughout the city. Swann Memorial Fountain ( named after Dr. Wilson Cary Swann) opened in 1924 with sculptures by Alexander Stirling Calder and design by Wilson Eyre, Jr.
Designed by William Strickland in the Greek Revival style, “The Merchant’s Exchange Building” was completed in 1934. The building was established by a group of Philadelphians (including Stephen Girard) to serve as a single hub for business and financial matters of the city.